- Defer elective dental care for patients with unstable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Introduce or support a smoking cessation program.
- Use a pulse oximeter to monitor oxygen saturation levels.
- Have an extra oxygen tank available. If extra oxygen is needed, only supply 2-3 L/min.
- Address possible adrenal suppression.
- Avoid barbiturates, narcotics, antihistamines, and anticholinergics.
- Avoid erythromycin in patients taking theophylline.
|Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||MCS1B||MCS2B|
| Drugs/ drug|
See Medical Complexity Status for more information.
- Basics about COPD. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. June 9, 2021
- Bronchitis. National Heart, Lung, and Blodd Institute.
- Chronic Bronchitis. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine. June 16, 2021.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine. June 23, 2021.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Emphysema. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine. June 16, 2021.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. 2020 GOLD Report.
- Halpin D. GOLD COPD strategy: what’s new for 2021? Guidelines in practice. February 24, 2021.