- When lowering the back of the dental chair, pay careful attention to the patient’s breathing.
- Be aware of possible orthostatic hypotension.
- Use additional pain and anxiety control as needed.
- Avoid long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- If present (usually secondary to medications), address oral dryness and gingival overgrowth.
⚠️ Do not perform elective dental care within 30 days after hospitalization for HF.
| Drugs/ drug|
See Medical Complexity Status for more information.
- Medical Disorders
- Oral Health Care Considerations
- Classifications and Definitions
- Boorsma EM, et al. Congestion in heart failure: a contemporary look at physiology, diagnosis and treatment. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2020 Oct;17(10):641-655.
- Maggioni AP, et al. EURObservational Research Programme: regional differences and 1-year follow-up results of the Heart Failure Pilot Survey (ESC-HF Pilot). Eur J Heart Fail. 2013 Jul;15(7):808-17.
- Murphy SP, et al Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Review. JAMA. 2020 Aug 4;324(5):488-504. Erratum in: JAMA. 2020 Nov 24;324(20):2107.